The Process of Discipleship
Purpose of this seminar:
1. What is Discipleship?
1. mathetes (3101), lit., “a learner” (from manthano, “to learn,” from a root math—, indicating thought accompanied by endeavor), in contrast to didaskalos, “a teacher”; hence it denotes “one who follows one’s teaching,” as the “disciples” of John, Matt. 9:14; of the Pharisees, Matt. 22:16; of Moses, John 9:28; it is used of the “disciples” of Jesus (a) in a wide sense, of Jews who became His adherents, John 6:66; Luke 6:17, some being secretly so, John 19:38; (b) especially of the twelve apostles, Matt. 10:1; Luke 22:11, e.g.; (c) of all who manifest that they are His “disciples” by abiding in His Word, John 8:31, cf. 13:35; 15:8; (d) in the Acts, of those who believed upon Him and confessed Him, 6:1-2, 7; 14:20, 22, 28; 15:10; 19:1, etc.
A “disciple” was not only a pupil, but an adherent; hence they are spoken of as imitators of their teacher; cf. John 8:31; 15:8.
1. Capitalized: a friend of Odysseus entrusted with the education of Odysseus’s son Telemachus.
2. a: a trusted counselor or guide
A Disciple is: one who Imitates/Patterns/ example from another, who has authority, in such a way that it literally changes his/her live.
Discipleship is: Developing disciples by teaching others to be what you already are.
2. Principles of Discipleship
Two words are used to indicate discipleship:
Follow(imitate) and example (pattern)
1 Corinthians 4:16
1 Corinthians 11:1
1 Thessalonians 1:6; 2:14; Hab. 3:17-18
NOTE: Paul was a team player. The word follower is in the plural.
3. Philosophy of Discipleship
To see a believer mature in their Christian walk/life by listening, learning and living Biblical principles through the example and exhortation of another.
4. Purpose of Discipleship
The Spiritual growth of believers.
5. Program for Discipleship
Ensample – pattern
Example of its use in Scripture:
John ; 1 Cor 10:6; 1 Thes 1:7; 1 Tim ; Titus 2:7-8
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Put together a plan for spiritual growth.
2 Thes 3:9; 1 Peter 5:3; Phil 3:17
<![if !supportLists]>2. <![endif]>Put together a 3 fold discipleship plan
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>Very Resourceful People
They IGNITE our passion
Find a Paul
<![if !supportLists]>b. <![endif]>Very Important People
They SHARE our passion
Find an Epaphroditus – Philippians 2: 25-30
Brother - Close
Fellow Soldier Comrade (WWII vets)
Minister to wants care-taker
<![if !supportLists]>c. <![endif]>Very Teachable People
They CATCH our passion
Find a Timothy (Philippians 2: 20-22)
Someone who is:
Reach the reachable and teach the teachable!
Those to be aware of:
<![if !supportLists]>d. <![endif]>Very Nice People
They enjoy our passion
<![if !supportLists]>e. <![endif]>Very Draining People
They sap our passion
Aim – Goal, set specific goals
Appointment – schedule into daily routine
Accountability – people, learn from then pour into another
W. E., Unger, M. F., & White, W. (1996). Vine's complete expository
dictionary of Old and New Testament words.